the subject of being alone comes up…a lot. in all sorts of ways. so i have some questions about things i’ve seen, heard, been complained to about extensively. for the sake of clarity, think in terms of pre-marriage relationships when answering, since divorce is yucky and all. and for the sake of being completely insensitive, i’m using the word “alone” instead of “single” because it makes people uncomfortable and that’s kind of what i want for these questions.
1. is it better to be alone than in an unhealthy or unhappy relationship? why or why not?
2. what is the biggest fear about being alone?
3. what is the best thing about being alone?
4. what can you do to avoid being lonely while being alone?
5. is the feeling of loneliness more of a mental problem or an external problem or both?
i know at least a couple of these can be hard to answer, but i’m hoping it will start a dialogue that will serve two purposes.
- so i can gain a better understanding of what you guys are experiencing and feeling.
- so that maybe those of you who are alone right now won’t feel so isolated. you might be without a significant other right now, but so are a lot of other people. you’re alone, but you’re not alone in your alone…ness.
it’s sentences like that last one that make me wonder why you people read what i write at all.