when i told my husband i was going to blog about 5 ways to say “let’s just be friends”, he said, “only 5? I’m pretty sure you used about 2 dozen on me.” clearly none of them worked.
ideally these should be used prior to dating the person you are about to shatter. once a date has occurred (one that you both understand is a date), it begins to get more complicated. the friend thing has to be established early, otherwise you’re just leading the other person on for your own selfish reasons. and when i say “other person”, i really mean the guy. girls are far more likely to string out the attention they are getting. they are really skilled at remaining willfully oblivious to real feelings being involved. once the guy gets to the point of making it obvious, the girl drops the friend bomb.
you know i’m right.
to quote Craig again, “guys don’t invest that much time and energy into someone they don’t want to date.”
i think that’s about 98.2% accurate.
so guys, if you hear any of these 5 phrases (or variations thereof), you’ve been hit it face with “let’s just be friends”:
1. “i’m so glad there’s no dating weirdness.” – this one isn’t so bad. it’s pretty straight forward and cleanly slices the jugular of any romantic involvement.
2. “so what do you think of (insert attractive person of the opposite sex here)?” – this one is the Stealth Bomber of pain. she asks you about another guy. probably your friend. and you are ash.
3. “isn’t it great that we can just be friends and hang?” – isn’t it just. like number one, this one have just thrown down the chalk line. and you, my friend, are out of bounds.
4. “i’m thinking i shouldn’t be in a relationship right now.” – in case you were wondering, this really means “i’m thinking i shouldn’t be in a relationship with YOU. ever.”
5. “isn’t being alone great?” – she’ll launch into some explanation that includes phrases like “finding herself” and “experiencing life”, but the truth is, she’ll date the next guy she’s attracted to. sorry.
the really awful part, she probably considered dating you then just decided she wasn’t that into you. unfortunately girls can pivot from interested to friend zone faster than a pit team can change a set of tires.
what are some other ways to say “let’s be friends”?
hit us with your worst “let’s be friends” story.