today is Groundhog’s Day. aka Craig’s birthday, Sled Dog Day and February the Tooth. apparently Punxsutawney Phil made an early appearance and instead of 6 more weeks of winter, decided to destroy Oklahoma.
if you’re into math and don’t live in Oklahoma, it is also 12 days until Valentine’s Day.
the number of reactions to that little nugget of truth, is all the over the emotional map.
1. my elaborate plan isn’t ready yet! – there’s those out there who can’t believe it’s already February and they haven’t hired the string trio yet. the hand-pulped paper for the card hasn’t been pressed and the custom M&Ms haven’t arrived. whatever shall you do?
2. again? really? – some just wish the calendar skipped the 14th like some buildings skip the 13th floor. it’s the most dreaded of all holidays and to be avoided at all costs.
3. let’s get ironic! – oh the ever expanding popularity of the Anti-Valentine’s Day party. broken heart cookies, skewered Lil’ Smokies, J. Geils Band, lots of booze to forget you’re alone…yay!
4. meh – some people honestly don’t care Valentine’s Day even exists. it’s just another day to them. unless it happens to fall on the 2nd tuesday of the month, because that means those little candy hearts with the messages on them will be the snack choice at the Elk’s club. everybody loves those.
5. make reservations! – Craig and i fall in this category. “let’s go celebrate the fact that we still like each other by spending way too much money on dinner. okay? awesome!” last year he even threw in a wilted rose and an african american Hallmark card from Kroger.
how do you react to the imminent day of Cupid and cheap boxes of chocolate?
what’s the weirdest thing that’s happened to you on Valentine’s day?