in my very first twitter twaddle post i quoted someone who said, “I’m single because every guy I have ever met straight up sucks.” to which i responded, “is it just me, or does that seems highly unlikely?”
it’s something i hear a lot. or variations thereof, “all the good ones are gone”, “girls are crazy”, “i hate people”…
it’s not true. okay, maybe a little bit. but not even close to entirely.
what’s gone is people’s ability to identify the “good ones”. it’s like it got amputated from society along with common sense and Shrinky Dinks.
here’s why i think people have convinced themselves good people don’t exist:
1. poor life choices: if you keep choosing the same type of person, what do you think is going to happen? if your “type” is the guy on The Bachelorette that everyone always hates, or the girl who’s best quality is being horrible to everyone, then that’s your problem. not the world’s. find yourself an honest friend and ask them why they hate everyone you date.
2. classic victim: some people just like being pitied. which is so weird. it’s like if there’s no drama, they’re not happy. they tow around a vortex of misery everywhere they go and choose people to date who either feed it or who can somehow be blamed for it’s existence. so, so weird.
3. constantly settling: having high expectations but never waiting for them to be met. ugh. really? learn to be content with your own company. alone is better than dating someone who acts like a Road Rules cast member.
4. always looking in the same spot: birds of a feather, hang out in the same bars. stop looking for the nice guy in a sea of asshats. you heard me. a pastor told me i can use that word because it’s in the bible. stop ookin’ pa nub in all the wrong places. upgrade your hunting grounds.
5. being a genuinely horrible person: everything that goes wrong for you is everyone else’s fault. you’re perfect, everyone else is busted. news flash: the problem is you. if everyone you meet somehow comes up lacking, the issue,
my friend, is you. not humanity at large.
if you really believe there are not any good eligible people left in the world, you need to reevaluate your dating strategy. chances are, something you’re doing is keeping them at bay. i meet decent datable people all the time. some of them are commentators on this blog.
so here’s the questions:
anything i missed?
are you guilty of any of these? (answer that one in your head, unless you wish to share with class)
do i need my mouth washed out with Irish Spring?