google How to Hug a Girl sometime. i dare you. you’ll find step by step instruction. is that necessary?
a few days ago, i posted a blog that ended up with a bad hug rant in the comments. which i loved. my readers are leave the best comments.
the consensus was bad hugs suck. so, since i’m a list girl, here’s a list of hugs and their execution:
1. the side hug – this is popular among my christian brothers and sisters as it leaves no chance for your naughty bits to bump. as the name suggests, this hug is a one-arm squeeze from the side. appropriate for youth pastors and coaches. there’s even a whole blog about it by Jon Acuff.* feel free to make this one more awkward by turning into it and hugging with both arms. that should freak a side hugger right out.
2. the A-frame – this seems like it would take two bad huggers to make it happen, but it doesn’t. it only takes one person to bend at the waist and hug you around the neck to form the A-frame. variations include the standard 3 pats on the shoulder and a single arm squeeze that usually involves someone being pulled off balance.
3. the over n’ under – this hug looks like you’re about to use the Jaw of Life. one arm over the shoulder, the other under the armpit. most often used by guys when hugging other guys, the over n’ under is a platonic, good-to-see-ya-man kind of clutch.
4. the wrap up – i have a friend who is a master of this hug. to pull it off, you have to make it clear, as the hugger, that your arms are going around the neck or the shoulders so the huggee knows their arms are going around the waist. then wrap that huggee up like you’re absorbing them into your chest. variations include a circular back rub, head-lean or slight rocking motion.
5. the bend n’ lift – this is like the wrap up’s older, jockier brother. the approach looks almost like you’re going to be tackled, but instead the hugger’s arms go around the waist and the huggee gets lifted off the ground. this can be startling, so make sure it’s someone you know.
6. the back to front – giving someone a hug from behind can be dangerous. a successful back to front will result in the hugger giving a squeeze with arms around the waist and the chin resting on the shoulder of the huggee. make sure the arms are around the waist though, because if you put your arms around the neck, you go from hugger to mugger. and guys, it is best to not use this hug on another guy. for any reason. ever.
have an awkward hugging story? tell it.
*i met Jon Acuff a couple of weeks ago. he gave me a side hug and whispered in my ear that my fly was down. true story.